Protect yourself this summer - tips by Dr Jamuna Pai’s SkinLab Bangalore
Pollution, UV rays and humidity can take a toll on your skin during summers. Hence it’s important to maintain a good skin care regime. Here are a few tips to keep your skin fresh and glowing all summer long:
• The sun’s UVrays and pollution accelerate the ageing process and also make the skin appeardull and more prone to damage if not properly moisturized. When you don’t usemoisturizer during the summer months, your skin tends to produce excess sebumthat clogs the pores and makes it difficult for your skin to breathe. You donot need to slather thick and creamy moisturizers which are meant to treat theparched winter skin. Switch to lighter products like the oil free or gel basedformulated moisturizers or look for moisturizing milk or lotions. These areabsorbed easily and do not leave a greasy residue. You can mix the moisturizer with yoursunscreen and use.
• Roamingout in the sun without a sunscreen will not only accelerate the process ofageing but also cause dark spots, pigmentation and uneven skin tone. But, don’tthink that you do not need a sunscreen if you stay indoors. The UV radiationcan affect your skin as it can penetrate through the glasses also; evencomputers emit some amount of UV radiation. Wear a sunscreen regularly and doreapply every 4-5 hours.
• Practice agood cleansing ritual every evening when you return from work. The skin tendsto become oilier during these hot months. You can use a Salicylic acid basedface wash to lessen the ‘greasy’ feel from the skin. Never sleep withoutremoving make-up, no matter how tired you are.
• Drink alot of water and fluids; eat a lot of fruits, vegetables and salads; limit theintake of coffee as it can be harsh on the skin over a long term; say no tosmoking as it causes skin breakdown and burning; limit the intake of alcohol tooccasional basis; avoid consuming too much sweet and oily foods; add vitamin Cand omega fatty acids to your diet.
• Exercisingduring summer can pose a problem due to the humid <>weather, which makes you sweatexcessively. Do not compromise- rearrange your schedule to fit in exerciseduring the coolest time of day. It will help not just the body but also theskin to stay healthy and regenerate.